Stuffed Calamari Salad
Stuffed Calamari is ideal for summer time eating! A delectable dish layered with potatoes, olives, onions and tomatoes. It is easily prepared in 10 minutes, cooked/ baked in 20 minutes and can be reheated. Serves 4-6.
Or serve Grilled Calamari .
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 cups diced Bread (ciabatta/tuscan)
- 2 Garlic Cloves peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Potato peeled and sliced in thin rounds, toss with 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 medium size Onion peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 Tomato sliced in large chunks
- 2 Tomatoes sliced in rounds
- 6-12 olives
- 1 Tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1 pound Calamari Squid
- 1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix Green Salad of choice
- Olive Oil and Lemon to drizzle on salad
Fill each Calamari with prepared stuffing.
Pre-heat oven at 375 F
Rinse calamari and set aside in a colander. In a large mixing bowl crack 1 egg and discard the shell; with a fork beat the egg for 30 seconds. Add milk to the egg, combine with fork. Place into egg/milk mixture the bread, garlic, parsley salt; using a spoon, incorporate all ingredients. Set the stuffing aside.
Align Calamari onto potato lined baking pan.
Layer bottom of the pan with potato slices.
Begin filling each calamari by opening the white cylinder meat and fill each calamari 3/4 full with the stuffing. After filling the calamari insert a tomato chunk to close off calamari and set each one on top of the potato slices, side by side. Distribute any remaining stuffing around the line calamari.
Layered Stuffed Calamari
Add olives and capers around the calamari. Layer onion rings and tomato slices on top of calamari. Drizzle olive oil over entire dish. Distribute water evenly over the food. Cover dish with tinfoil and place pan into the center of the oven, allow to bake for 15 minutes. Uncover dish and turn temperature to broil and broil for 5 minutes. When the potatoes are fork tender the Stuffed Calamari is ready to serve and eat.
Place a Green Salad onto plates, drizzle olive oil and spray half a lemon on salad. Lastly, serve the Stuffed Calamari onto the salad. BUON APPETITO!
By: Kimberly Crocker-Scardicchio
A perfect pairing of two vegetables! Zucchini is high in Vitamin B6,2,1 Vitamin C, A and minerals. While carrots carry the load in carotenoids with recent research also linking critical phytonutrients Falcarinol and Falcarindiol to inhibiting the growth of intestinal and colon cancer cells, making it a power house vegetable! Enjoy this wonderful side dish weekly or daily and see how you can improve your health.
Zucchini and Carrots maybe prepared together or separately. Maybe served over: Rice, Quinoa, Couscous, or Pasta.
Sliced Carrots and Zucchini for saute`
An easy side dish to prepare that takes little time to prepare and full of nutrients. Establish healthier individual standards and enjoy this dish served warm or cold. The recipe can be used for a”Zucchini” or “Carrot” only dish.
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Carrots, thinly sliced rounds
Chopped Garlic and Parsley
- 3 Zucchini, thinly sliced rounds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
Saute vegetables in pan
Place skillet on low-heat, add olive oil and garlic, allow to heat for 4 minutes. Add in sliced carrots and saute` for 4 minutes. Place Zucchini into skillet and add salt. Using a wooden spoon integrate vegetables together, simmering for about 5 minutes. Add parsley into carrots and zucchini.
By: Kim Crocker-Scardicchio
Posted in Carb Counting, Glycemic Index, Hypertension, Recipes
- Tagged Carb Counting, Carrot, Fruits Vegetables, Garlic, Glycemic Index, Hypertension, Olive oil, Parsley, Recipes, Side dish, Vegetable Side Dish, Zucchini
Sun Dried Tomato Eggplant Rolls
Delicious and tasty appetizer
- 1 Eggplant (does not need to be peeled, lengthwise or cross sliced 1/4 inch (1/2 cm)
- 12 Sun-dried tomatoes soaked in olive oil until tender
- Garlic clove minced
- Basil leaves
- Parsley leaves
- Goat cheese (A flavorful cheese can be substituted)
- Washed and dried lettuce leaves placed onto a plate (optional)
Thinly sliced eggplant, lightly salted and grilled
1. Combine sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil and garlic in a bowl and set aside.
2. Some stores may sell eggplant slices already grilled. Otherwise, wash and sliceeggplant. Lightly salt all slices and set aside in colander for about 1 hour to allow for bitter water to come out from eggplant. Pat dry eggplant slices with paper towel. Place eggplant slices onto hot grill and lightly grilled ggplant slices.
Layer eggplant with sundried tomato, goat cheese and basil
3. Place sun-dried tomato into center of eggplant. Place a slice of cheese into center of sun-dried tomato. Roll eggplant with sun-dried tomato and cheese inside. Place two parsley leaves on outside of roll and secure roll by inserting a toothpick. Place onto plate with lettuce.