Stuffed Calamari is ideal for summer time eating! A delectable dish layered with potatoes, olives, onions and tomatoes. It is easily prepared in 10 minutes, cooked/ baked in 20 minutes and can be reheated. Serves 4-6.
Or serve Grilled Calamari .
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 cups diced Bread (ciabatta/tuscan)
- 2 Garlic Cloves peeled and minced
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large Potato peeled and sliced in thin rounds, toss with 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 medium size Onion peeled and sliced in rounds
- 1 Tomato sliced in large chunks
- 2 Tomatoes sliced in rounds
- 6-12 olives
- 1 Tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1 pound Calamari Squid
- 1/8 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix Green Salad of choice
- Olive Oil and Lemon to drizzle on salad
Pre-heat oven at 375 F
Rinse calamari and set aside in a colander. In a large mixing bowl crack 1 egg and discard the shell; with a fork beat the egg for 30 seconds. Add milk to the egg, combine with fork. Place into egg/milk mixture the bread, garlic, parsley salt; using a spoon, incorporate all ingredients. Set the stuffing aside.
Layer bottom of the pan with potato slices.
Begin filling each calamari by opening the white cylinder meat and fill each calamari 3/4 full with the stuffing. After filling the calamari insert a tomato chunk to close off calamari and set each one on top of the potato slices, side by side. Distribute any remaining stuffing around the line calamari.
Add olives and capers around the calamari. Layer onion rings and tomato slices on top of calamari. Drizzle olive oil over entire dish. Distribute water evenly over the food. Cover dish with tinfoil and place pan into the center of the oven, allow to bake for 15 minutes. Uncover dish and turn temperature to broil and broil for 5 minutes. When the potatoes are fork tender the Stuffed Calamari is ready to serve and eat.
Place a Green Salad onto plates, drizzle olive oil and spray half a lemon on salad. Lastly, serve the Stuffed Calamari onto the salad. BUON APPETITO!
By: Kimberly Crocker-Scardicchio