…. After all, “variety is the spice of life”.
Add chopped basil to flavor vegetable dishes
Freshly grown and cut herbs placed in a vase filled with water adds beauty and a wonderful scent to the kitchen. Keep the herbs within hands reach makes it easy for the cook to chop and provides flavor to dishes while reducing sodium. Herbs when added to any dish, accent’s and brings out the best from vegetables and meats. Consider making some changes to your meal preparation; buy spices and always keep a bouquet of garden fresh herbs within hands reach ready to be enjoyed.
Spices (1/2 -1 teaspoon)
Allspice, Cumin, Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes Saffron, Tumeric
Herbs (1-2 Tablespoon)
Basil, Cilantro, Ginger, Marjoram, Mint, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme , Garlic, Onion
- Excellent combination for any tomato base: Oregano, Garlic, Parsley, Red Pepper flakes, EVOO
- Ragu base tomato sauce with or without meat. Chopped Onion, 6-10 Basil leaves, EVOO
- Cream sauce: Chopped sage, 1/2 c. onion, 1 minced garlic, cracked pepper
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Michelangleo Sauce
- 1 tsp Tarragon, 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, 1 square inch cheese Rind from the end of Parmesan Cheese added to any soup. Allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
- With a 2 tbsp olive oil combine equal parts of ROSEMARY, SAGE, THYME, to a GARLIC clove, half ONION for your favorite beans. • Try any of these herbs in your steamed vegetables or in soups.
- Choose from 1/2 tsp Mint, Lemon Zest, or Dill are great in rice with vegetables and kidney beans, or in dips with yogurt and low fat sour cream.
- 1 tsp chopped Chives and 1 tsp parsley are great on top of salad, soup or baked potato. They are also good in dips with yogurt and sour cream.
- Fava Bean Soup
- Creamy Zucchini Soup
• For a delicious Pot Roast choose a group of seasonings, rub onto meat, place into a covered dish or closed plastic bag, allowing to absorb flavors for 4+ hours then prepare according to roasting time.
- 1 tsp Allspice, 1 tsp grated Ginger, 1 tsp cracked pepper, 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 c. Red Wine
- 1 whole garlic clove, sprig of rosemary, 1 Tbsp chopped sage, 1 tsp cracked pepper, 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 c. Red Wine
- Low Sodium Rubs, Marinades and Glaze
- Authentic Ragu` Italian Sauce
Herbs releases a wonderful aroma adding great flavors to your meals.
• Chicken and Turkey
Choose group of seasoning and herbs and rub onto Chicken and Turkey
- 1 tsp Turmeric, 1 tsp Marjoram, 1 minced Garlic Clove, 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil .
- Zest of 1 Lemon and 1 Orange, 1 Tbsp chopped mint, 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp chives, 1/2 tsp Oregano, 1 minced Garlic clove, 1/2 c. chopped onion, 1/2 tsp Cumin, 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil with tomatoes (tomato sauce), rice, black beans and corn for a delicious Spanish flavor.
- Chicken and Dumplings (reduced-sodium)
- Pork Roast and Vegetables
Steak Marinade steaks in 1/4 c balsamic vinegar to tenderize the meat, adding a bit of 1/8 tsp salt, pepper and dried/chopped mint leaves
3/4 cup wine can be substituted with1/2 cup apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup water.
- • Place fish onto a large aluminum foil. In the center of fish place 5-10 leaves of parsley, 4 garlic slices, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. Completely cover fish and seal aluminum, place into oven and bake on 350 for 20 minutes.
- Tuscan Cacciucco Fish Stew
Tips to reduce sodium:
Omit salt or reduce salt by ½ in most recipes (except in products with yeast). Cook foods without adding salt.
Don’t put the salt shaker on the table: try pepper, or Mrs Dash salt substituteFrozen or canned vegetables
Choose frozen vegetables without sauces or use no-salt-added canned goods. Rinsing canned vegetables will help reduce sodium.Seasoning Salt or spice mixes with salt
Use salt-free seasonings and spice mixes, herbs, spices, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic or Chile peppers to flavor food instead of salt.
Seasonings high in sodium include: catsup, chili sauce, chili powder, bouillon cubes, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and meat tenderizers.
You must be logged in to post a comment.