Serves 4. Makes a great appetizer!
Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 30 minutes.
- 4 medium size potatoes washed, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pat of butter
- 2 onions peeled and thinly sliced (May substitute with leeks. Thinly slice and soak in water to remove dirt.)
- 6 zucchini sliced into thin circles (peeled optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Garnish with parsley, cilantro, or pesto
- Wash, peel and quarter potatoes. In a medium size pan add 5 cups of water to potatoes, cover, allow to boil over medium heat for 20 minutes. Potato should permit a fork to pierce it with just a slight resistance.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat place a large sauce pan and add olive oil, butter, garlic, onion (or leeks). Allow to saute for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini slices, and sautee` for another 5 minutes.
- Turn off burner, remove potatoes from heat. Carefully drain water into sink. Place potatoes into blender.
- Remove zucchini and onions from heat and turn off stove top.
- Place zucchini and leek (or onion) into a food processor. Cover food processor and blend vegetables for about 30 seconds.
- Turn on stove to medium heat, place large sauce pan and return blended vegetables to sauce pan.
- Add milk and water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in parmesan cheese
- Allow to warm on stove top on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Place into individual soup bowls. Garnish with drizzled olive oil, chopped cilantro / parsley or a dab of pesto!