Using only a 4 ounce (125 ml) vanilla yogurt cup learn how to make an easy and deliciously moist cake! Just embrace the Italian Simplicity as you make a cake with only a yogurt cup. Great for dessert or breakfast.
Preheat oven to 350F (170 C). Serves 8-12.
Grease (with a pat of butter) and flour cake pan and set aside. Italian cakes are generally made dry and then moisture is added after the baking. This is usually done by drizzling Pineapple Juice, Marsala, Maraschino or Rum. If you do not want to add the juice or liquor simply skip this step and add 1 cup of oil to the batter.
- 1 4 ounce yogurt cup of vanilla
- 2 yogurt cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 yogurt cup vegetable or olive oil for a moist cake.
- (FOR a DRY cake moistened with liquor utilize the following: 1/2 yogurt cup oil for baking. Then after the cake is cooled drizzle 1/2 cup your choice of: Pineapple Juice, Rum, Sweet Marsala all over cake.)
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- zest of an entire orange OR 2 lemons for a citrus flavor
In a large mixing bowl add all the ingredients in order. Using a free standing mixer or a hand held mixer set to a low setting, begin to combine all ingredients. Mix for about 2 minutes on medium high, turn off mixer and set aside. With a rubber spatula or spoon scrap the cake batter into the pre-greased and floured pan of choice. Place into oven and allow to bake for 25 minutes. Cake is done when inserted fork tines or toothpick comes out clean when removed.
After cooling the cake can be cut in half and filled with custard, pudding or marmalade. Place the removed half back on top of lower half and spread filling. Sprinkle with powdered sugar by tapping a sieve.