Weight loss and appetite seem to be oxymorons, but they can work together as every ounce lost leads to a pound less over time. Nutrition and health can be tied into one diet that has proven to promote an individual’s longevity; the Mediterranean Diet. The Mediterrnaean Lifestyle allows one to enjoy eating seasonal and locally grown fruits /vegetables, with an emphasis on community socializiation; walking with friends and family.The Mediterranean Lifestyle is riding a wave into North America after being enjoyed for 1000’s of years globally by other countries. The following information focuses on calorie reduction through walking and testimonies from those who chose to get healthy. For more information read: Mediterranean Diet and 1200 Calorie Diet
WEIGHT LOSS MUST: 500 calories reduced daily. 7 days x 500 calories = 3500 calories in 7 days. There are 3500 Calories in one pound! So in one week the possibility is high that an individual can lose one pound.
EXERCISE MUST DO: 30 minutes alone of aggressive exercise burns 168 calories
Consider walking twice a day for one hour then burns 336 calories.
Walking 2’ce a day for 30 minutes, 7 days a week will burn 2352 calories a week.
Combined with a streamlined Mediterranean Diet will encourage a higher metabolism, burning additional calories.
ADDITIONAL Exercise Information: Goal of 10,000 pedometer steps =5 miles. (i.e. 2,000 pedometer steps equal 1 mile)
10,000 steps means a potential of 504 calories burned per day through exercise alone.
WEIGHT LOSS TESTIMONIES: I recently pulled some information from a variety of anonymous clients to see what was working for them in their own personal weight loss, all who follow the structure of the Mediterranean Diet. Some answers are original and will surprise; use any one suggestion to leverage as personal motivation as you reinforce your own weight loss!
3 bite rule. Once meal is in front of them, 3 bites (1 Tbsp=1 bite) per food is eaten. Uses sandwhich plates for all meals. Sticking with the pla, they reinforce this philosophy when eating out and puts the remainder food into the garbage. This has helped with portion control, quality of nutrients, quick weight loss. Total weight loss in 4 months 20 pounds.
Food Journal has helped establish personal menu’s. Exercise 30 minutes in the morning before work
Serves their plate and then moves half the food on their plate to their spouses plate.Exercise 30 minutes in the evening. Total weight loss in 6 weeks is 9 pounds.
Plans on the go: Fitness Pal: Counts down from 1200 calories to 0 calories each day in order to manage TOTAL calorie consumption. When 1200 have been reached the rest of the day is water only. Swims and works out at gym for one hour each day. Total Weight loss in 6 months 38 pounds.
30 minute walking a day. Attention to calories divided into 3 meals + 1 snack over the day. Food journal to see the success. 100 Jumping Jacks to conclude the day. Total Weight Loss in 4 weeks is 5 pounds.
- YES, attention to every bite and every meal. YES, to small dinner. NO Cheating. NO excuses. No snacks after 4 pm. Evening walking. Fitness Pal to track dietary intake. Total weight loss in one year 48 pounds.
- Keeps a scale next to refrigerator. Weighs in before eating as a reminder of a personal commitment. Total weight loss in 1 month 4 pounds.
- Has spouse or friend remove plate when done as to not to over eat. Allows for spouse or friend to remove plate before finished eating. 45 minutes exercise after dinner. Total weight loss in 3 months 12 pounds.
- Eats zucchini and cucumbers every day with a peel. Exercise one hour. 30 minutes before work and 30 minutes in the evening. Food Journal helps to keep focused, rights in calories for each food. Total weight loss in 6 months 46 pounds.
- Stopped eating children’s food. Reduced stress. Daily Exercise. 12 weeks and lost 11 pounds!
By: Kimberly Crocker