Curry, a general name that sends most salivary glands into over drive. This recipe has journeyed from India, Africa, America and Europe delighting the taste buds of many and providing dietary medicinal benefits as well. The following curry sauce is easy to do. Follow the directions to achieve a tasty dish just by simply layering in the flavors.
Two important tricks to making this recipe are: 1. Keep 2 cups of water on hand to slow down cooking . 2. Constantly stir to prevent food from overcooking. Serves 6
- 2 onions finely minced (emulsified)
- 1/2 c. oil (may use: sunflower, vegetable, canola, peanut , or olive)
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Roasted Cumin (may warm cumin in a dry pan over low heat for 1 minute)
- 2 cups water (to be used in small amounts through out cooking)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger
- 4 Green Chilies diced (may add 2 more chilies for a spicy flavor)
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic (5 Garlic Cloves)
- ¼ c yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2/3 c Tomato Sauce
- 5 lb’s( or 2 kilo) cubed chicken
- ½ c Cilantro
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Saffron or Tumeric
- 2 tsp Fenugreek (or Methi Sookhi)
- 1 tsp Cumin
Begin by peeling and then mincing 2 onions add 1/4 cup water to emulsify the onions.
Over medium heat, add oil to a large pan along with onions, cumin and bay leaves. Allow ingredients to saute` for 8 minutes until brown, stirring constantly as to not burn! Next, stir in 1/2 cup water to slow down cooking and prevent onion from burning.
Combine ginger into onion base and allow to cook for 2 minutes constantly stirring. Blend in Chiles and Garlic saute` for 1 minutes. Add 1/4 cup water.
Incorporate the cubed chicken breasts into onion and spice base, the chicken is white after 5 minutes.
Add in the Yogurt, Tomato Paste and Tomato Sauce always stirring for about 5 minutes.
Lastly stir in one at a time, cilantro, salt, saffron/turmeric, Fenugreek, Cumin add in rest of water (about 1 cup of water.) Allow all flavors to simmer together for about 2 minutes. DONE!!!