Yield: 12 servings Top off with Powdered Sugar and Pomegranate Seeds for a festive appearnace and delicious taste (in place of using frosting).
1 + 1/2 cup (170 g) all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (dutched/dark) or Dense Chocolate Drink Mix (Ciobar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 pinches salt
1 cup (220 g) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3/4 cup (1.8 dl) milk
3/4 cup (1.8 dl) vegetable oil (flavorless)
Preheat oven to 350 deg F ( 180 deg C)
- Grease a 9 inch (23 cm) cake tin.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl.
- Add milk, vegetable oil and eggs.
- Mix everything together until smooth, either by hand or by using an electric mixer at slow speed. If the batter is too runny you may add slightly more flour.
- Transfer to bake tin and bake at 350 degrees until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 35 to 45 minutes.
- After the cake has cooled, slice the cake through the middle to make two layers (easier if the cake has been in the fridge).
Ingredients for frosting
1 stick (1/2 cup) + 3 tablespoons (160 g) softened butter
3 cups (7.2 dl) powdered sugar or confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 to 5 tablespoons lukewarm milk
- Cream the softened butter with powdered sugar in a bowl. Add cocoa, vanilla and 4 tablespoons lukewarm milk, and mix until smooth. Do not over-mix. If necessary, add some more milk.
- Use one 1/3 of the frosting between the two layers, 1/3 on top, and the rest around the cake.
- This cake should have room temperature when served.