Flavorful rice that can be a great additive side dish, especially with curry, stews and sauces. See instructions below to add a creative aspect to this delicious plate!
- 2 cup’s Rice
- ½ onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ cinnamon bark (1 inch or 2.5 cm in length)
- 2 cloves of cardamom
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp turmeric (optional)
Rice should be washed by placing into a bowl and covered with water, carefully remove water. Repeat process 3 times. Allow rice to remain in water for 30 minutes, remove water from rice and set aside. (If rice is not pre-soaked add another ½ cup water to dish when rice is added to pan for a total of 3 ½ cups)
Over medium heat add oil to a large frying pan with onion, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom; cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add rice and incorporate well with onion and spices. Add 3 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat. Fluff rice with 2 forks and recover pan.
- May add vegetables to this dish before water is added to rice.
- May add Saffron or Tumeric to dish at end of cooking.
- Rice can be placed into a mold pan upon completion of cooking. Allow to cook for 20 minutes, invert pan to release formed rice and top off with almonds and soy beans.
Suggested dishes to accompany Spiced Rice: Permjit’s Chicken Curry, Paratha, Raita, Chicken or Veal Parmesan, Florence Italy’s Peposo