Flavorful rice that can be a great additive side dish, especially with curry, stews and sauces. See instructions below to add a creative aspect to this delicious plate!
- 2 cup’s Rice
- ½ onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 whole cloves
- ½ cinnamon bark (1 inch or 2.5 cm in length)
- 2 cloves of cardamom
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- 2 tsp turmeric (optional)
Rice should be washed by placing into a bowl and covered with water, carefully remove water. Repeat process 3 times. Allow rice to remain in water for 30 minutes, remove water from rice and set aside. (If rice is not pre-soaked add another ½ cup water to dish when rice is added to pan for a total of 3 ½ cups)
Over medium heat add oil to a large frying pan with onion, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom; cook for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add rice and incorporate well with onion and spices. Add 3 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat. Fluff rice with 2 forks and recover pan.
- May add vegetables to this dish before water is added to rice.
- May add Saffron or Tumeric to dish at end of cooking.
- Rice can be placed into a mold pan upon completion of cooking. Allow to cook for 20 minutes, invert pan to release formed rice and top off with almonds and soy beans.